Monday, February 05, 2007

How to make money with F/OSS

Open Sources | InfoWorld | The proprietary/open source continuum for ISVs | February 5, 2007 05:09 AM | By Matt Asay


Ok, in general, I am not a big fan of Matt Asay.  Often, I feel his blog entries expose him as nothing but a Red Hat shill.  Sorry, Matt, but you do tend to have a distinctive leaning in your blog entries. 

However, the entry quoted above is an excellent one, and a thought-provoking assessment on how companies can make money with Free/Open Source Software (F/OSS).  How much of that assessment is directly from Larry Augusten?  I don't know, but it is great to have it.  This is an article I'm definitely going to bookmark.  Too often, when explaining what F/OSS is I get the question, "... but if the software is free how do you make money?"  My explanation is sometimes lost on the recipient, which means I probably need to work on my elevator pitch. ;-)  However, it is nice to have a quick explanation I can send to someone.  Maybe I should memorize this and re-use the content. :-)


Blogged with Flock